Cinema Studies and Department of Romance Languages
424 Friendly Hall
Professor Rigoletto's expertise is in European Cinema (especially Italian), Queer Cinema, Stars Studies, Film Comedy, and Television Studies. His first monograph Masculinity and Italian Cinema: Sexual Politics, Social Conflict and Male Crisis in the 1970s was published in 2014 by Edinburgh University Press. He is also the co-editor of Popular Italian Cinema (Palgrave: 2013). His current project focuses on the function and meaning of stardom within Neorealism, Italian film star Anna Magnani, and the question of authenticity. He is also working on the Queer Art Film.
Recent Citations – Publications – Professional Work
- Masculinity and Italian Cinema: Sexual Politics, Social Conflict and Male Crisis in the 1970s, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh, 2014.
- Popular Italian Cinema (co-edited with Louis Bayman), Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, 2013.
- "What is Italian Screen Studies for?" The Italianist, 34:2, 2014, pp. 238-241.
- "The Fair and the Museum: Framing the Popular." Co-authored with Louis Bayman. Louis Bayman and Sergio Rigoletto (Eds.), Popular Italian Cinema, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, 2013, pp. 9-48.
- "Laughter and the 'Popular' in Lina Wertmüller’s The Seduction of Mimì." Louis Bayman and Sergio Rigoletto (Eds.), Popular Italian Cinema, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke, 2013, pp. 178-202.
- "Country Cousins: Europeanness, Sexuality and Locality in Contemporary Italian Television." Co-authored with Martin Dines. Modern Italy, 17:4, 2012, pp. 479-491.
- "Contesting National Memory: Masculine Dilemmas and Oedipal Scenarios in Bernardo Bertolucci’s Strategia del ragno and Il conformista." Italian Studies, 67:1, 2012, pp. 124-146.
- "Political Cinema." Louis Bayman (Ed.). Directory of World Cinema: Italy, Intellect Books, Bristol, 2011, pp. 226-229.
- "Sexual Dissidence and the Mainstream: the Queer Triangle in Ferzan Ozpetek’s Le fate ignoranti." The Italianist, 30:2, 2010, pp. 202-218.
- "Italian-Style Comedy and l’italiano medio: Strategies of Exclusion." Lucy Bolton and Christina Siggers Manson (Eds.), Italy on Screen: Italian Identity in the National Imaginary and International Symbolic, Peter Lang, London, 2010, pp. 35-49.
- CINE 399 "Neorealism"
- CINE 350 "Gender and Sexuality in European Cinema"
- CINE 350 "Stardom and Performance"