Behind the Lens, presents a series of films featuring children.
These are not stories for children, but, rather, stories about children. Some of the world’s great filmmakers are represented in stories exploring the experiences of children who face challenges, both within their own families as well as in the outside world.
UO Cinema Studies majors attend for free with valid student ID.
- JUN. 27 The Black Stallion (1979) Director: Carroll Ballar, 117 min.
- JUL. 11 Zero for Conduct (1933) Director: Jean Vigo, 43 min. The Red Head (1932) Director: Julien Duvivier, 92 min.
- JUL. 18 The River (1951) Director: Jean Renoir, 99 min. JUL. 25 Ivan’s Childhood (1962) Director: Andrei Tarkovsky, 95 min.
- AUG. 1 The Lord of the Flies (1963) Director: Peter Brook, 92 min.
- AUG. 8 Cria Cuervos (1976 ) Director: Carlos Saura, 109 min.
- AUG. 15 Fanny and Alexander (1982) Director: Ingmar Bergman, 183 min.
- AUG. 22 My Life as a Dog (1985) Director: Lasse Hallstrom, 101 min.
- AUG. 29 Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993) Director: Steven Zaillian, 109 min.
- SEP. 5 A Little Princess (1995) Director: Alfonso Cuarón, 97 min.
- SEP. 12 Whale Rider (2002) Director: Niki Caro, 101 min.
- Tuesdays, 7:00–9:30 p.m., June 27–September 12 (no meeting July 4)
- UO Baker Downtown Center, 325 E. 10th, Eugene, OR
PARKING: Free parking during Behind the Lens screenings is available behind the building in the lot marked “Academic Extension Student Parking.”
REGISTRATION: To register by phone, please call the Registration Office at 541-346-4231. To register in person, visit the UO Academic Extension front desk at the Baker Downtown Center, 975 High Street, Suite 110, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Registration is also available on-site 30 minutes in advance of each program. UO Cinema Studies majors attend for free with valid student ID.
REGISTRATION FEES: $20 noncredit for entire term (see prorated dates below) $10 for current Osher Lifelong Learning Institute members for entire term
ONLINE REGISTRATION: http://bit.ly/2sx7s9x
PRORATED REGISTRATION FEES: Through August 1 (fifth meeting), the registration fee is $20. After August 1, the half-season registration rate is $10.
University of Oregon Academic Extension presents the Behind the Lens seminar, in partnership with UO Cinema Studies. The Cinema Studies major at the University of Oregon allows students to study moving image media at the intersection of intellectual study and creative practice. As a comprehensive bachelor of arts degree, the major cultivates an appreciation of the media arts, an ability to communicate ideas using a broad array of media, and a historical understanding of how various cultures tell their stories. Academic Extension provides leadership for the incubation and delivery of special learning opportunities, including professional development workshops, conferences, lifelong learning, online courses, and summer session programs. Each Behind the Lens seminar is preceded by a brief lecture by Tom Blank, and followed by discussion/Q&A. Films are screened under the Educational Fair Use provision of US Copyright law. Registration fees for this noncredit seminar support program costs, including staffing and facilities maintenance. For information about membership in Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, please visit http://osher.uoregon.edu Maximum seating: 94. Some sessions fill. Seating is first-come, first-served.