Academic FAQs

How do I request major credit for my transfer course work?

Please submit information on your transfer course using this Transfer Credit Request Form, and attach the syllabus (required). If you have questions or concerns, please send an email to cineadvising@uoregon.edu.

Jump to Top

What can be done with a Cinema Studies degree?

Cinema Studies students will leave the UO with the ability to go on and build remarkable lives for themselves in a wide range of professions related to the media industry–as directors, producers, writers, editors, curators, marketers, designers, events managers, K-12 teachers….even as professors.

Students in Cinema Studies at the University of Oregon learn to work both as creators and as scholars. They read, think and write but also direct, shoot, and edit movies. As a result, they find they have a wide range of employment options when they begin their careers.

In addition to acquiring many skills specifically related to moving images, our students develop important skills valuable to most businesses, primary among them creative research and problem-solving, good communication skills, and the ability to work in and make important contributions to a team.

Our emphasis on interdisciplinary connections and cinema as a global medium means that our students are exposed to diverse ideas and peoples, and consequently, as graduates they are able to establish unique paths for themselves wherever they may go.

There is a surprisingly wide range of opportunities for work in film and media. Many students who graduate pursue further education or additional professional training, while others find first-stage positions and apprenticeships, or even create their own production companies as a way of gaining experience and building connections with potential employers and collaborators.

Jobs in the media industry are often freelance or ad hoc rather than full-time or continuing, which means that graduates in Cinema Studies are frequently surprised to find so many practical applications for the creative, academic, and interpersonal skills they’ve acquired and gratified by their emerging abilities to design their own roles in life.

Jump to Top

Is there a Cinema Studies minor?

At this time, there is no minor offered in Cinema Studies. However, we do have a Film Certificate which functions similarly to a minor and can be completed by students in any undergraduate major. Like a minor, completion of the Certificate will appear on your university transcript. The Certificate requires 36 credits for courses taught by faculty across campus in cinema history, aesthetics and theory.

Students working toward the Film Certificate do not, under normal circumstances, have access to Cinema Studies production courses.

Cinema Studies majors are not eligible for the Film Certificate.

Jump to Top

I'm lousy at learning foreign languages; can I get a B.S. in Cinema Studies?

No, the major can only be completed with a Bachelor of Arts. If you are planning on double-majoring in Cinema Studies with another major that you are currently completing as a B.S., please schedule an advising appointment to discuss University graduation requirements.

Jump to Top

Why is the department called “Cinema Studies”?

Some of the biggest programs in the country, including NYU and USC call themselves “cinema schools,” but more importantly we believe that the term “cinema” signals a larger and more far-reaching set of interests than just “film.” Film is a medium, cinema is a language, arguably the language of the future, that can be seen and heard not just in a movie theater, but online, on the street, and on your phone. Major in the future.

Jump to Top

Where is the Cinema Studies Lab?

The Cinema Studies Lab is located in 267 Knight Library.

Jump to Top

How can I find out about intern possibilities?

Information about internships, including department guidelines, are available on the Internship page.

Jump to Top

Can I get credit toward my degree for my internship?

For more information, please visit the Internship page, and download a copy of the guidelines.

Jump to Top

Who do I contact about teaching for the Department of Cinema Studies?

Please send a cover letter and resume to Timothy McGovney at University of Oregon, Department of Cinema Studies, 6223 University of Oregon, 201 McKenzie Hall, Eugene, OR 97403-6223.  Email: cinemanager@uoregon.edu.

Jump to Top

Can I check out a Cinema Studies camera?

Cinema Studies cameras and equipment are limited to Cinema Studies students currently enrolled in Cinema Studies production classes   However, CMET now has cameras just like ours (HD Canon) that all students, even if you’re not a Cinema Studies major, can check-out for use. Visit the CMET Equipment Checkout page for Information about CMET cameras. 

The Cinema Studies Equipment Room is located in the Knight Library Room 18.  For more information, please visit the Equipment Room Information page.

Jump to Top