Cinema Studies and Instructor of English
PhD in Film Studies, University of Iowa
- Dissertation: “African Educational Film and Video: Industry, Ideology, and the Regulation of Sub-Saharan Health and Sexuality.”
- Graduate Certificate in Gender, Women’s, and Sexuality Studies, University of Iowa
- Interdisciplinary Graduate Certificate, Project on Rhetoric of Inquiry, University of Iowa
MA in Film Studies, University of Iowa
BA in Film, Television, and Theatre, University of Notre Dame
Film Theory and History, African Cinemas, Gender and Sexuality in Cinema, Trans* and Cinema, International Non-Profit Media Industries, Health Communication Media, Political Economy of International Aid, Transnational Feminist Studies, Postcolonial Theory, Queer Theory, Video Game Critical Studies, Ethnographic Film, Third World Cinema, Ideology and Cinema
Works in Progress:
Wholesome Entertainment: Political Economy and Aesthetics of Non-Profit Educational Filmmaking in Sub-Saharan Africa, book manuscript
“Pumzi: The Political Economy and Aesthetics of Fourth Generation African Cinema"
“Falling into ‘Pam’s World’: Transgender Fantasy, Pleasure, and the Figure of the Queer Child in Ma vie en rose"
“(Trans)Gendering the Avatar: Performativity and Subjection in Grand Theft Auto and Saints Row"
Recent Citations – Publications – Professional Work
“The Industries of African Cinema.” Directory of World Cinema: Africa. Edited by Blandine Stefanson and Sheila Petty. Bristol, UK: Intellect, 2015.
“Educating African Sexuality: Processes of Gendering in African HIV/AIDS Instructional Films.” Intersections: Women’s and Gender Studies in Review Across Disciplines: “Gender and Health,” No. 8 (Fall 2010): 103-133.
“Mimicking the Supersexual: A Search for Efficacy in the Performance of Ambiguous Sexualities.” The Newsletter for the LGBTQ Study Group of the American Musicological Society, Vol. 16, No. 2 (Fall 2006): 11-20.
Honors and Awards
- Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship in Media for Social Change, Media and Society Program, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, 2012-2013.
- Crossing Borders Fellowship, International Programs, University of Iowa, 2007-2010.
- T. Anne Cleary International Dissertation Research Fellowship, Graduate College, University of Iowa, 2010.
- Sigma Tau Delta Teacher of the Year, University of Oregon, 2019.
- CINE 399: Sp St African Cinema
- CINE 360: Film Theory
- ENG/CINE 381M: Film, Media, and Culture
- ENG 110: Introduction to Film and Media
- HC 222H: Trans* and Cinema